In 2013, a project named "Gujarat's Tribute to the Nation" became the country's most famous destination. It has quickly grown in popularity around the world. The Statue of Unity is the sculpture of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, nicknamed the "Iron Man of India," that holds the title of world's tallest statue. The Statue of Unity represents unity in diversity and is a memorial to the man who brought the country together.
It is located on the banks of the holy Narmada River, with a view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam in Gujarat. The Structure of Unity stands 182 metres tall and is known as the world's tallest statue. On the 143rd anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel's birth, our honorable Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, officially launched this magnificent and marvelous monumental structure.
Not only it attracts thousands of tourists each day, but it has also created a plethora of employment opportunities for Indians. According to sources, nearly 3000 people were employed as a result of the initiative. In addition, approximately 245 engineers worked on this project for approx 46 months.
Learn about the Statue of Unity
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, an eminent personality globally known for his strong decision makings, the man behind the unity of our country. He served as India's first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister after independence. Because of his resolve, bravery, and immense competence in uniting people of India through the merger of 552 states at the time, he was called the "Iron Man of India." During the revolutionary Indian Independence movement, Sardar Patel was a staunch supporter of Mahatma Gandhi and his philosophies.
Why you must visit this marvel once in your lifetime
1. Explore world’s tallest statue
The colossal structure, which would render you speechless, stands at a height of 182 meters, making it the world's tallest statue. The statue stands about 30 meters taller than China's "Spring Temple Buddha" and is twice the height of the popular "Statue of Liberty" in the USA. This iconic monument can withstand wind speeds of up to a whopping 60 meters per second. You surely would not want to miss out on that.
2. Show your patriotism
This is your most fun way to show your patriotism for your country, whether you connect with it or not, any discussion about our democracy and freedom fighters melts our hearts in an instant. This massive memorial not only honors a great man, but also all of his contributions. All of his attempts to set us free and, most particularly, to hold us together are admirable.
3. The best views from the statue
One of the major reasons to visit this mammoth monument once in your lifetime is the fact that you will get to witness beautiful scenes. Evidently, it is the world's tallest statue, and its dizzying height is the most talked-about subject..Your attention becomes connected to the majestic views of the Satpura and Vindhyachal ranges at one point where you can see this spectacular sky-touching statue. The glistening Narmada river flowing through is a sight to behold.
Quick Facts about the Statue of Unity
Check out these amazing facts about the statue that will blow your mind:
● The Statue of Unity cost approximately a whopping INR 2,989 crore to build.
● The complete construction process was overseen by Larsen and Toubro.
● The tower's massive height of 182 metres was purposefully chosen to correspond to the total number of seats in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly.
● During the last year, almost 26 lakh people have witnessed the immense pride of the Statue of Unity.
● For social media addicts, the complex has a dedicated selfie zone.
● The statue's legs are equipped with four high-speed lifts. In about 30 seconds, each of the legs can carry up to 26 people to the top.
How to reach
The ‘Statue of Unity’ is easily accessible from a number of airports, railways, and roadways. Along your trip to the statue of unity, you'll pass through some spectacular waterfalls, the Shoolpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, and temples. Here’s the list all the nearest airports and railway stations that would enable you to easily reach the spot:
❏ Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport
❏ Vadodara International Airport
❏ Surat International Airport
Nearest railway stations
❏ Ahmedabad Railway Station
❏ Vadodara Railway Station
❏ Surat Railway Station
❏ Kevadia Railway Station
Nearest bus stations
❏ Kevadia bus stop
Timings Details and Entry Fees of the Statue of Unity
Before visiting the site, you must know that there are a total of five zones, out of which only three are open for the general public. The first section leads from the base to the shins of the statue – contains a museum and a garden commemorating Sardar Patel's contributions. At 149 meters, the second section reaches the statue's thigh region. Finally, the visual gallery on the third floor offers spectacular views of the Narmada River and the neighboring Satpura and Vindhyachal mountains.
● The entrance fee to the Statue of Unity is INR 120 for adults and INR 60 for children aged 3 to 15. The viewing platform ticket costs INR 300 for adults and INR 200 for children.
● Children under the age of three are admitted for free. The museum, park, valley of flowers, memorial, and audio-visual gallery are all included with this ticket.
Points to keep in mind before visiting
● The site is open for the public from Tuesday to Sunday, the timings being 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
● You can attend the thrilling and informative Laser Light and Sound Show, which is open daily from 7:30 p.m. to midnight, except Mondays.
● On Mondays, the Statue of Unity is closed for repairs and other maintenance.
*Sources: As per the information from the official website of the Statue of Unity (https://statueofunity.in/)
What else to look around the Statue of Unity
While you are on the trip to the Statue of Unity, you will get a chance to explore all the nearby tourist attractions that will mesmerize you with the majestic beauty of our country.
● The Sardar Sarovar Dam is a beautiful sight to behold.
● You might not want to miss Rajpipla, a peaceful town.
● Embody the soothing aura of the Zarwani Waterfall
● Soak in the tranquilly of Panchmuli Lake.
● Ninai Waterfall is a natural wonder that hasn't been tampered with.
● Eco Campsite Sagai Malsamot that will make you more in touch with nature.
Perhaps one our country's most magnificent creations, surrounded by Gujarat's beguiling scenery. A great weekend getaway for Gujaratis and a must-see destination for the rest of us. Visit the Statue of Unity and thank us later.